Saturday, March 7, 2009

Require me to remove my turban or be fired?

Q. I am a Sikh man and the turban that I wear is a religiously-mandated article of clothing. My supervisor tells me that my because turban makes my coworkers "uncomfortable," he is asking me to remove it or he will fire me. Can my boss really do that?

A. No. According to the EEOC, if a turban is religiously-mandated, you should ask your employer for a religious accommodation to wear it at work. Your employer has a legal obligation to grant your request if it does not impose a burden, or an "undue hardship," under Title VII (the federal law prohibiting religious discrimination in the workplace).

Claiming that your coworkers might be "upset" or "uncomfortable" when they see your turban is not an undue hardship.

No comments:

Post a Comment