Sunday, March 8, 2009

Deny my COBRA coverage?

Q. My health coverage was terminated when my employer shut down and laid off all its workers. HR tells me there is no longer a health plan, but I understand the economic stimulus was supposed to help continue my health coverage through COBRA. Can my boss do that?

A. Possibly. Although the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act provides a premium-reduction to help qualified individuals pay for COBRA continuation health coverage, if there is no longer a health plan, there is often no COBRA coverage available. If related employer or successor employer sponsors a group health plan, it may be responsible for providing coverage to you, according to the US Department of Labor.

If you believe a related or successor employer may be responsible for providing you with COBRA coverage, you can contact the employer directly or EBSA toll free at 1.866.444.3272 to speak to a Department of Labor Benefits Advisor for assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment