Monday, March 16, 2009

Impose Health Benefits Waiting Period on Return from Active Duty?

Q. My family and I had health coverage under my employer's group health plan before I was called on military active duty. We let this coverage lapse while I was away and took military health coverage. When I returned to my employer from active duty, my boss told me they might impose a waiting period to reenter my employer's health plan. Can my boss do that?

A. Generally, no. Under USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act), you and your family should be able to reenter your employer's health plan, according to the US Department of Labor. In addition, your plan generally cannot impose a waiting period or other exclusion period if health coverage would have been provided were it not for military service. The only exception to USERRA's prohibition of exclusions is for an illness or injury determined by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to have been incurred in, or aggravated during, performance of service in the uniformed services, which is covered by the military health plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment