Saturday, March 7, 2009

Make me take pregnancy leave before I'm ready?

Q. My boss has told me that since I'm "so far along" with my pregnancy, I have to start leave next week. I have already been out a week because of gestational diabetes, and I was able to go back with my doctor's blessing. I'm not ready to go on leave, and I need the extra money before I have the baby. My boss also says our company policy says I can't come back to work for six weeks after I have the baby. I'm afraid I will lose my job. Can my boss really do that?

A. No. Pregnant employees must be permitted to work as long as they are able to perform their jobs. If an employee has been absent from work as a result of a pregnancy-related condition and recovers, her employer may not require her to remain on leave until the baby's birth. An employer also may not have a rule that prohibits an employee from returning to work for a predetermined length of time after childbirth, according to the US EEOC.

No comments:

Post a Comment