Saturday, March 7, 2009

Require a Doctor's Note for FMLA Leave?

Q. I need to take family and medical leave to help my husband recover from cancer treatments. My employer has a policy for FMLA leave and HR tells me I am eligible, but they are requiring me to provide a certification from the doctor. I don't feel comfortable releasing medical records. Can my boss do that?

A. Yes and no. You do not need to provide medical records. An employer may require that you support the need for leave for a serious health condition of you or your immediate family with a certification issued by a health care provider. Your employer must allow you at least 15 calendar days to obtain the medical certification, according to the Department of Labor.

The Medical Certification form approved by the US Department of Labor can be found here. You can give it to your doctor to fill out.

No comments:

Post a Comment